Letter_size Contrast TextToSpeech
ar-capture 360-video

Church of Evangelistria and Agios Symeon

Square of Mayor Bizaros
The church of Evangelistria and Agios Symeon is located in the square of Mayor Bizaros (formerly Lemonia Square). The church was built in the mid-18th century (1751-1757) and is a private property. The church was named after its original founders, the Tourlinos family, a noble family from Crete. In the early 20th century, it was property of the Flampouriaris family, heirs of the Tourlinos, and was last bought by the Papazoglou family. It is a small one-room church with semicircular openings surrounded by stone frames and a circular skylight on the north wall. On its eastern side, the church borders on a single-storey house, now in ruins. An internal corridor crosses the ground floor of the house and leads from the square to the church. There is a double bell tower above the arc of the entrance on the square and the stone door. In its current state, it is a dilapidated church, and arbitrary works that took place have altered its structure. The church has been declared as historical landmark according to Ministerial Decision No. ΥΠΠΕ/Β1/Φ33/45981/1712/20-7-1979- Government Gazette 793/Β/14-9-1979.
Religious Tourism
Areas of Interest
Venetian Period
Post Byzantine Era
Places of worship
Coexistence of religious beliefs in the Historic Center of Corfu town
Not accessible due to maintenance
Visiting Hours
The church is closed and under maintenance.
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254

Terms of Use