Mansion of Kapodistrias
124, Kapodistriou St
Kapodistrias Mansion is located on 124 Kapodistriou Street in Mouragia quarter. It was built in 1845 by the Corfiot architect Ioannis Chronis. It is a three-storey building of classical architectural style which features a slightly protruding façade standing out for its tall Corinthian half- columns made of red Sinian stone, and its decorative relief wreaths. The interior of the building is decorated with 19th century ceiling paintings. At first, it belonged to the family of Ioannis Kapodistrias. The mansion was initially the residence of the president of the Ionian Senate. During the Second World War, the building housed the Italian Military Offices. After the war and until 1969, the Prefecture and the residence of Prefect had been housed there. Since 1979, the Department of Foreign Languages, Translation and Interpreting of the Ionian University has been operating in the building. The old 500- drachma banknote depicted both Ioannis Kapodistrias and Kapodistrias mansion. References/Reference list: Ministry of Culture and Sports, ODYSSEUS: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=1752 ΜΕΓΑΡΟ ΚΑΠΟΔΙΣΤΡΙΑ – MEGARO KAPODISTRIA blogspot: http://megarokapodistria.blogspot.com/
Areas of Interest
Period of English Rule
Short architecture-themed route
It’s a seaside route extending from the Old to the New Fortress
The inside is not accessible
Accessible to all
The inside is not open to the public.
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254.