Letter_size Contrast TextToSpeech
ar-capture 360-video

Ionian Academy, Grimani Barracks

Corner of Akadimias and Kapodistirou Sts Ꙛ This point of interest includes holographic video
The Ionian Academy building is located in the southern part of Spianada Square. It was built during Venetian rule in the early 17st century and intended to house the Quartiere Grimani barracks (named after the Provveditore Generale). It is an impressive L-shaped building which undergone consecutive phases of construction. From 1824 to 1864 and once the Union of the Heptanese with Greece took place, the building housed the Ionian Academy, the first higher education institution in the modern Greek history. The Ionian Academy was founded in 1824 by Count Frederick North Guilford (1766-1827). There were four schools that operated in the Academy, and the university library. The library soon received donations by the Oxford and Cambridge university and by prominent personalities and members of the nobility all over Europe which boosted its enrichment. Following the Union of the Heptanese with Greece, the Municipality Library was housed in the building and was burned to the ground in 1943 during the World War II. Today, after its being restored, the Ionian Academy houses the office of the rector and the Ionian University Senate, while the back part of the building houses the 2nd Secondary School. The Ionian Academy has been declared a listed building under Ministerial Decision No. 28787/1316/5-5-1955 – Government Gazette 102/Β/11-6-1955. References / Reference List - Αγοροπούλου - Μπιρμπίλη Α., Η αρχιτεκτονική της πόλεως της Κέρκυρας κατά την περίοδο της Ενετοκρατίας, Αθήνα, 1976. - Σταμάτη Β., «Η Βιβλιοθήκη Guilford στην Κέρκυρα (1824-1830)», Ο Ερανιστής 20, 1995.
Cultural Tourism
Sustainable Tourism
Architectural tourism
Areas of Interest
Venetian Period
Period of English Rule
Period after the Ionian Islands Unification
Historic Building
Public Services
Place for cultural events
Spianada Square and its historic landmarks
Venetian Rule and the Old Town of Corfu
Famous buildings that after the Union of the Ionian islands with the newly established Greek state (1864) have been used for other purposes
Second route for people with disabilities (extended route)
"Corfu: A Romantic wedding destination"
Hologrammatic Route
Stairs without existance of an elevator
The inside is not accessible
Accessible to all
Visiting Hours
The inside is not open to the public. Information: (+30) 26610 87122, Email:
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254.

Terms of Use