Letter_size Contrast TextToSpeech
ar-capture 360-video

Maitland Rotunda

Spianada Sq. Ꙛ This point of interest includes holographic video
The Peristyle of Maitland / Maitland Monument is located in the southern part of Spianada Square. It is a neoclassical monument in the form of a circular, single-columned church with twenty Ionic columns, built in 1816 in honour of the first British Commissioner, Thomas Maitland (1760-1824). At the same spot there was the Venetian cistern of Pano Plateia (Upper Square), the so-called Gradenigo's Cistern (named after the Captain General of the Sea (Provveditore Generale da Mar) Giacomo Gradenigo), the largest in the city, built in 1781. The two entrances of the Peristyle allowed access to the water reservoir. The original monument in honour of the British Commissioner was designed as a triumphal arch in accordance with the resolution by forty-six Corfiot nobles on 25 October 1816. The construction of this monument was cancelled and in its place the Peristyle was erected which survives to this day. The Peristyle was designed by the architect Colonel George Whitmore (1775-1862) and constructed of porphyry stone from Malta where Maitland also held the rank of commissioner. The sculptural decoration of the monument was made by the Corfiot sculptor Pavlos Prosalentis (1784-1837). Atop the monument there is a circular inscription mentioning the following: «ΕΙΣ ΜΝΕΙΑΝ ΑΙΣΙΟΥ ΗΜΕΡΑΣ ΕΠΑΝΟΔΟΥ ΕΚ ΜΕΓΑΛΗΣ ΒΡΕΤΑΝΝΙΑΣ ΘΩΜΑ ΜΑΙΤΛΑΝΔΟΥ ΩΣ ΕΥΘΥΝΤΗΡΩΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΙΚΟΥ ΚΑΤΑΣΤΗΜΑΤΟΣ ΝΗΣΩΝ ΙΟΝΙΚΩΝ ΠΟΛΙΤΑΙ ΚΕΡΚΥΡΑΙΟΙ ΑΝΕΣΤΗΣΑΝ ΕΤΕΙ ΣΩΤ ΑΩΙΣΤ». In 2004, restoration work was carried out on the monument. References: Δημακόπουλος, Ι.: «Το ανάκτορο των Αγίων Μιχαήλ και Γεωργίου» στο Concina, E. και Νικηφόρου-Testone, A.: Κέρκυρα: Ιστορία, αστική ζωή και αρχιτεκτονική 14ος-19ος αι., Κέρκυρα 1994, σελ. 106.
Cultural Tourism
Architectural tourism
Areas of Interest
Period of English Rule
Spianada Square and its historic landmarks
First route for people with disabilities (short distance route)
Second route for people with disabilities (extended route)
Hologrammatic Route
Accessible to all
Visiting Hours
Public Space. Open area. Open all day.
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254.

Terms of Use