Letter_size Contrast TextToSpeech
ar-capture 360-video

Theotokos Limniotissa of Aigialos

The chapel of Theotokos Limniotissa of Aigialos is located in Mouragia, under the northern walls of the city, built in an arcade inside the walls. Visitors have to pass through the gate of Agios Nikolaos and then go left towards the beach. It is the southern part of an earlier church that was demolished in 1792 during Venetian rule. Precise information about its history is scarce. In an act of 1567 it is mentioned that the church of "Limiotissa in Aigialos" belonged to the guild of Kalafates. In the 18th century it belonged to the State. The church is also known as Panagia Megalomata from the fresco of Virgin and Child including the inscription "ΛΗΜΗΟΤΗΣΑ" (LIMIOTISA) that survives on the tympanum of the arcade. The chapel is now open and accessible, and icons and offerings of the faithful adorn its walls. REFERENCES 1) Παπαγεωργίου Σ. Κ., Ιστορία της Εκκλησίας της Κέρκυρας από της Συστάσεως αυτής μέχρι του νυν, Κέρκυρα, 1920. 2) Καρύδης Σ. Χ., Ορθόδοξες Αδελφότητες και Συναδελφικοί Ναοί στην Κέρκυρα (15ος – 19ος αι.), Αθήνα 2004. 3) Καρύδης Σ.Χ., Ορθόδοξοι ναοί της Κέρκυρας τον 15ο αι., στο Βυζαντιακά, Τόμος 19ος, Θεσσαλονίκη 1999. 4) Παλιά Πόλη Κέρκυρας, Σχέδιο Διαχείρισης, Κεφάλαιο 5, Παράρτημα,, ανάκτηση 22/6/2020.
Religious Tourism
Areas of Interest
Venetian Period
Post Byzantine Era
Places of worship
Uneven surface (Cobbled surface)
Uphill slope
Slippery surface when raining
Visiting Hours
Open only while church service. Information:(+30) 26610 39912, (+30) 26610 41710 Email :
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254.

Terms of Use