Letter_size Contrast TextToSpeech
ar-capture 360-video

Ionian Parliament

3, Moustoxidou St. Ꙛ This point of interest includes holographic video
The Ionian Parliament was founded in 1817 during the period of the British rule. At first, its sessions took place in the house of Vailos and then in the east wing of the palace of St. Michael and St. George. In 1854 the construction of the Ionian Parliament building at 3 Moustoxidi St. began and was completed a year later. It is a neoclassical building with Doric columns at the entrance, designed by the Corfiot architect Ioannis Chronis (1800-1879). It is a stone-built construction with a wooden roof supported by internal columns on the first floor. Until 1864, when the Ionian Islands became part of the Modern Greek state, the Ionian Parliament held its sessions in the building. In 1869 part of the building was given to the Anglican Religious Community and the Anglican Church moved there. In 1943 the building was burnt down by the bombing during World War II and was restored in 1962 under the supervision of the architect Ioannis Kollas. Today part of the building houses the Anglican Church. The rest is used to hold plays, meetings, art exhibitions and other events. The entrance of the building is decorated with the bust of the last president of the Ionian Parliament, Stephanos Padovas (1807-1872), as well as the commemorative plate in honour of the Union of the Ionian Islands with the Greek state. References / Bibliography Αγοροπούλου-Μπιρμπίλη Α. «Το έργο του κερκυραίου αρχιτέκτονα Ι. Χρόνη» Κερκυραϊκά Χρονικά 27, 1983, σ. 115-158. Αγιούς, Α., Οδοιπορικό στην Παλιά Κέρκυρα, Κέρκυρα 2004.
Cultural Tourism
Accessible Tourism
Sustainable Tourism
Architectural tourism
Areas of Interest
Venetian Period
Historic Building
Historic Centre
Public Services
Place for cultural events
Short architecture-themed route
Famous buildings that after the Union of the Ionian islands with the newly established Greek state (1864) have been used for other purposes
"Corfu: A Romantic wedding destination"
Hologrammatic Route
Accessible to all
Visiting Hours
The inside is not open to the public.
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254.

Terms of Use