Church of Saint Antonios and Saint Andreas
115, Nikiforou Theotoki St
The historic church of St. Antonios and St. Andreas is located near the old port of Corfu, at the beginning of Nikiforos Theotokis St. The church commemorates Saint Antonios on 17 January and Saint Andreas on 30 November. It was built in the 15th century and was renovated in 1753. It is a single-aisled basilica with a wooden pitched roof. On the outside, the church is quite austere with relatively few openings. On the front side and above the main entrance, there is a circular skylight. Inside the church, the roof is a cross-shaped dome. The iconostasis of Carrara marble, constructed by the Corfiot architect and sculptor Alexandros Trivolis-Pierre in 1777, stands out. A characteristic feature of the iconostasis is the elegant Corinthian capitals which are not common in stone carving representing Heptanese School as well as the rich baroque decoration. The iconostasis is connected to the baldachin of the altar, forming a single whole that creates the illusion of a building culminating in a large eight-sided dome. The wood-carved pulpit and the gynaeconite with painted decorations are preserved in excellent condition. REFERENCES 1) Παπαγεωργίου Σ. Κ., Ιστορία της Εκκλησίας της Κέρκυρας από της Συστάσεως αυτής μέχρι του νυν, Κέρκυρα 1920. 2) Καρύδης Σ. Χ., Ορθόδοξες Αδελφότητες και Συναδελφικοί Ναοί στην Κέρκυρα (15ος – 19ος αι.), Αθήνα 2004. 3) Καπανδρίτη Αν. και Γαλάνης Στ., «Το μαρμάρινο τέμπλο του Αγίου Αντωνίου στην παλιά πόλη της Κέρκυρας. Ένα μνημείο μέσα στο μνημείο», Δελτίον της Χριστιανικής Αρχαιολογικής Εταιρείας, τομ. 32, 2011, σελ. 197-206.
Areas of Interest
Post Byzantine Era
Places of worship
Coexistence of religious beliefs in the Historic Center of Corfu town
Accessible to all
Open only while church service. Information:(+30) 26610 39912, (+30) 26610 41710 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
This photograph has been created by the Laboratory of Interactive Arts of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University, in the framework of the project "Digital Tour Guide using Augmented Reality and Holograms"" which is co-funded by the European Union, as part of the Operational Program "Ionian Islands 2014-2020", Integrated Information System: 5031254.